Monday, August 17, 2009

The Accident in My words

I have debated whether to tell our story or not. We never talked to the press and wanted only to be with our children and not worry about what was being said. I feel I just want to write it out for my sake to cry it out think it out and hopefully the images will fade and I will be able to go on with normal like with more love than I had before for not just my family but for others. I wont post pictures for the sake of my children and others. I will just begin in my decision to go rollerblading that day. At the beginning of the school year which started 3 weeks ago we (my husband and I) felt that our two oldest girls were old enough that they could ride scooters to school. I didn't want them on bikes because I think the temptation to go in the road is to easy and the side walk seemed to be a safer way to go. But as long as I could I wanted to Rollerblade them to school and not have them alone and I had many of the mothers in the neighborhood doing the same. The road that takes us to school began to be repaved last week so we had skipped almost a week of rollerblading together. So on Thursday it was finally cleaned up and so we decided to go even though none of the other moms were going to go that day. So I loaded up my little 19 month old baby and 2 year old niece and buckled them in. The 2 older girls invited a dear friend to ride with them to school and my 4 year old got his scooter out and rode with them. We got to the school and said goodbye to the older girls and turned to go home. On the way home my 4 year old got tired of being on his scooter so I folded up the scooter and he hoped on the stroller. We were rollerblading going North on Grizzly Way passing many joggers from the High School. It was a quiet and normal morning. I came the the corner of Grizzly Way and Bridle Creek Dr. and went partly around the corner came to a stop backed the kids up on the curb and I stood on the sidewalk about 4 ft. from the white line. ( This is where I remember being) I felt absolutely no reason to fear being that far from the lane which is also plenty wide and has a large median turning lane also. I was going to cross going East on Bridle Creek Dr. I was very aware of what was going on at that moment because not much was. It was very quiet, no commotion of any sort. I stopped at the corner and saw that a car was headed South on Grizzly Way quite a distance away so I had a lot of time to look around. I have been at that corner a million times. Its the road I cross to go jogging in the morning, we go on bike rides up that road. I have been there enough to know to always stop. Cars almost NEVER stop there. So I was waiting for the car to pass us when I looked up just as he turned right exactly toward us like he almost had a mission to hit us. I had about a 10th of a second to react, feeling like it couldn't be real. I saw the car head on. It was the most unrealistic moment of my life. How could a car that had been driving down a quiet road now turn toward us and come at us head on. It was just like a dream I had just somehow imagined in my head. I felt the impact and the stroller ripped from my hands. I remember going up but where or how or what I hit I don't' know. It was almost like I started running before I landed because I don't remember how I landed just that I ended up behind the cars and all the children were in front of the car. This part I'm not sure how detailed I really want to be but I will tell my feelings and thoughts. I ran around the car to see my three tiny children laying on the ground thinking and yelling "OH MY GOSH" over and over as I ran around almost knowing that they were all gone and knowing that there was no possible way they could have survived. The site I saw.........it was horrific, there are just no words to describe how I felt seeing my own children lying all over in road. I first saw Ammon who was screaming for mommy in a tiny voice. He was just lying there helpless, and bleeding, on his stomach, there was blood everywhere. He obviously had flipped after hitting the ground with his head. It was awful. Then I saw Olivia still stuck in the stroller with the most unbelievable mountain on her forehead, just with a scared look and crying. Then.... my oh so tinny baby. My baby lay on the grass in the park strip motionless and quiet. (I'm sure you know what I must have thought and felt seeing her quiet). I did not know what to do. I felt so alone wondering who do I help. My phone wasn't in sight so I went to Ammon and laid on the ground with him telling him it would be alright even though I didn't know that it would. As people came I could see someone helping Lyla who was about 15-20 feet away from Ammon. I yelled to them to tell me if she was alright. Olivia was right near me with a high school student there asking what she could do. I told her to get Olivia out of the stroller and hold her. Ammon was still bleeding but I couldn't keep him down on the ground so I sat on the ground and held him in my arms. I could feel the gash on his head so I held it to stop it from bleeding more. He was just crying and I finally got him to be calm but when he did I couldn't take it because he was too quiet and I was scared so I told him to just cry all he needed to so that I could hear him. Not being able to take care of the rest of them was awful. Someone handed me a phone and I called Robert after I knew someone else had called 911. I tried to keep it together so that he would be able to understand me. Then I had to call the Father of my niece. I couldn't tell anyone much, just that it happened and I would know more when an ambulance came. Somehow the ambulance and Firetrucks all came without me hearing them or noticing they were there. I put Ammon in the life flight stretcher and ran to see how my baby was doing. Then I saw a dear friend, she gave me that moment just long enough to let me have a cry for just a moment. I was so glad she was there I just needed a hug. I ran around going to each of the girls, at that point Lyla was screaming and yelling at the Firefighter saying "Stop it, Don't". I knew she was at least mentally ok. They took Olivia first because of Head trauma to the Hospital and they said I could go with Lyla in the Firetruck. But I could not leave Ammon when he was still on the ground. Just before they took my little guy in the Helicopter Robert came. They wouldn't let me go with Ammon so I was so glad that Robert had got there in time to take me to the hospital. I got to the hospital after a long ride and could hear Lyla just screaming. I first saw her as they were giving her a CAT scan. She just wanted to be held by mommy. Ammon was calling for me so I tried to find him. But I stopped when I saw Olivia. Olivia just was laying there and when she saw me tears welled up in her eyes and she said "I love you". If my heart could not break any more, I had to leave her and find Ammon. Ammon was being so brave. He had been so calm they said through the ride there and through his scans and x-rays. He was calm as they stitched him up. He was just amazing. Lyla ended up scared, bruised, and scraped up, Olivia's head went back to normal size and had nothing but scrapes and roadrash. Ammon had about a 4 inch gash on the top of his now bald head along with many scraps and road rash, he had a bruised splean which they carfully monitored for internal bleeding but he so far has been good. None of the kids or I had anything broken. How the heck did that happed?
NOW the other story- I was just amazed at the people. I had so much help just minutes after. I only felt alone for a min. People were there wanting to help. It comforted me as I helped Ammon. As I was sitting on the ground a lady asked if she could take my Rollerblades off. I don't even remember them coming off just that they were gone. And as I was running around before leaving to the hospital a lady came and handed me some Adidas sandals asking me if I needed shoes. I wish I knew who they were and could thank them all. Everyone was amazing! Within min. of getting to the hospital there were family and friends there. We counted over 30 people there, that rushed there the min they heard, leaving work and family. I don't even know how they all got there so fast. I didn't know how they all knew. The men were able to give priesthood blessings to all of us. The Priesthood is real. I felt the power of the prayers said on our behalf. I KNEW we were watched over and protected. I KNOW that there were angels with us. We were hit head on by a car going at least 40 mph. We had only a stroller to protect us from the blow and Ammon and I really didn't even have that to protect us. I have no doubt that an angel placed my little Lyla on the grass. A baby can't land on concrete being hit 40 ft. and be ok, so she somehow got to the grass when everyone else was in the road. Ammon has no scull fracture or broken bones. He took most of the blow and landed inside the white line in the driving lane in the road about 25 ft from where he was hit. Olivia was projected by being big enough to stay in the stroller and my stroller has a protective bar on the front otherwise she would have hit the ground with a stroller on top and slid with no protection. She hit the ground but because of the bar it took some of the hit. I thank all of those who prayed and for all of those Priesthood brethren (all taking off from work in the moment they found out) who came honoring the priesthood and could give all of us blessings. I feel more than greatly blessed to have my family safe and home but I am just amazed at the outpouring of friendship I have felt. We had so many people that cared about us. I just thank you all. I will never forget this horrible thing that happened but I hope that the awful part will fade from my mind eventually and the blessings that have come from this I will remember more. It could have been a million times worse and in my mind I don't know how it is not worse until I remember that it was my Father in Heaven watching over us and the power of everyone coming together in prayer and the power of the priesthood is evident. Just one last thing. The man who hit us was obviously not mentioned. I have no reason to say much about him. I don't hate him but what I saw in him was not sorrow or regret. I only hope he sees that he needs to make a change in his life. Prayer also works for the lost.

I know that Heavenly Father is aware of all that we go through. I know that my Savior lives and loves us. I know that we have great purpose in this life. The power of the Preisthood is real. I know that miracles happen and there truely are unseen and seen angels among us. I am truely greatful to my Heavenly Father for blessing me with the angels the helped us that day. This I say is my true testimony that I know Heavenly Father knows me and loves all of us, I say in the name of my living Savior Jesus Christ.

15 comments:

Janett Ackerman Call said...

Connie and family- I don't think that you could have said it any better. I am glad that you have taken time to write out your thoughts in this way. I am so thankful that you and your children are going to be ok. This is such a terrible thing to have gone through! But, I realize how strong you are. I have always know that. I don't think there are any lessons to be learned, except maybe that we all need to be faithful and strong in the gospel and alow the Lord to take over and help in times of trial,(it is through Him that we receive peace,) just as you have. You and Robert are great examples of how we should be especialy in times of trial. I'm sorry to say this is not the last. The thought I had was- be of good cheer, your trials are but a moment in this life.... compaired with the eternal joy to come. My heart is filled with joy and thankfulness to my Heavenly Father that my family has been so blessed in this trial. Lots of Love, Mom C

Kelly said...

Connie, I just heard about the accident and am so sorry for all it!! I really can't imagine anything more horrific!! I am so glad you are all OK and please know our prayers are with you. Your tetimony is amazing and I am grateful I was able to read it... It really makes me want to just hug my kids and never let go! Best of luck!

Lara said...

My sister Kelly told me to read your story and now I am in tears. It was a terrible thing that happened to you but it was a miracle that happened that day. Sometimes I wonder if the Lord really is watching but he did more than just watch you that day. You and your family are so blessed and your testimony and forgiveness are an example to me. I thought of my kids while reading your story and I could feel your heartache for not being able to be there completely for each child. I am so glad that you and your family are alright and I don't even know you. Thank you for sharing your story. It really touched me.

Faasuamanu and Melinda Toilolo said...

connie I too am so glad you are all ok! You are an angel and along with your babies you were spared for a reason for sure.. You have much to do, you are such an amazing example to me, we love you and wish you the speediest recovey for you and your babies!

Kristin said...

Connie - thank you for sharing yout story - and your testimony. Your strength is an example to us all.

Unknown said...

I love you!

Emily K. said...

Thank you for sharing this story, I know that had to be hard. So many people have been asking about you and your families well being. This will help everyone know your strength and that after a while it will be a distant but unforgotten memory. I just love you and your family, my heart breaks that you had to go through this but I know you will rise above and move on. I am so thankful that Ammon and the girls will be alright. It's now time for healing.

SalGal said...

I'm so glad to hear that you and your children are all okay. My son was hit by a car two weeks ago while he was riding his bike w/o his helmet on. I was shaking so hard when I first found out, but we also had many people surrounding us and praying for us while we waited for medi-flight. After that, I just knew that everything would be okay. So far, it has. He looks and acts as if nothing ever happened, but his injuries are still very serious.

I am so, SO glad your babies are safe!!!

Kelly said...

OK so I'm feeling a little weird about telling everyone to read your story. It's so personal and private but it has seriously touched me so much. So you can tell me to stop if you need to... and I will...I am just so touched by your testimony of the preisthood and of being able to feel prayers work and knowing that our Heavenly Father was with you and watching over you. And when I read your story the spirit was so strong with me and I knew all of that was true too. So thank you for sharing such a personal and heart stopping experience. You have always been such a great example to me. I remember visit teaching you and I always wondered why I was teaching you when I always left feeling like I just learned more from you than you could ever get from me! You are so strong and have such a sweet sprit. So, Thank You again for letting us see things through your eyes!

The Taylor LIfe said...

I am so glad everyone is well, I was so worried when I first heard about the accident and now reading your post, it brings tears to my eyes. I am grateful you shared the story and also your testimony.
And also, what brand of stroller were you using? Since I am in the market for a stroller, I would love to know which stroller you were using that has that bar across the front.
Lot of Love

Tiffany said...

I don't even know what to say here...other than I am so glad you are all okay. Your writing does an excellent job of capturing those surreal minutes after the accident. What an awful experience! There is no denying your family was blessed.

heather said...

I can't even believe what you went through. I'm so glad you let us all know your story and I'm even happier that you are all OK. I just love you.

Cody, Holly and Analise said...

Connie! Wow! I'm so sorry you had to go through all of this. My heart is filled with sorrow as I read about your experience. But I'm truly glad to hear that everything turned out fine and that it was a testimony builder for everyone involved. Thank you for reminding me that things can change in an instant!

Mel and the boys said...

I cannot even imagine what you went through. I heard you were in an accident but not details. I'm sure it is hard to write such a traumatic event in your family's life. I am sure it will help in the healing process. I believe there are angels all around us. It's a very touching story; thank you for being willing to share it. I might change someone's life by reading it. I wish you all the best and will keep you in our prayers.

The Hatch Batch said...

Your brother Drew is in our ward and forwarded us your story. Through the tears in my eyes, I know you are an amazing person even though I don't know you personally. Thank you for sharing your experience, my heart really goes out to you and your precious family. I makes me want to appreciate life by living each day to the fullest that we are given. I'm grateful you have the gospel in your life and that the preisthood was able to bless you all. Thank you for sharing your beautiful testimony. I wish you the best!