After all of the family had a chance to see Grandma the viewing was open for others to come. There was a long line of people for over 2 hours. It was so nice to see how many people Grandma's life had touched. Many of these people were people who had touched my life as I grew up. It was a Joyus reunion! It was so wonderful to be reunited with all these people in celebration of my Grandmothers life. It truely was a celebration of her life and what she meant to all of us. Grandpa did very well. I am sure that this had to have been so hard but he Stood by Grandma and talked to each person as they passed by.
Obituary
|
Shirley Jean Mangum Call
Layton - Shirley Call, an Elect Lady, died peacefully on her birthday, October 2, 2010, surrounded by her loving family.
She was born October 2, 1929 in Orem, Utah to James LeRoy and Golda Elder Mangum. She was the 3rd of 6 children. Shirley married Robert Thurgood Call on January 8, 1953 in the Salt Lake City Temple. They lived in West Layton all of their married life. She had a great love for her husband, children and grandchildren.
She is a member of the Feathering Sands Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She served in the Northern States Mission and later her and dad served in the Kenya Nairobi Mission. She served faithfully on the ward and stake level in the Primary, Young Women and Relief Society. She also served on the Primary General Board of the Church. At the time of her death, she and dad were serving as Ward Missionaries and at the Ogden Temple as Ordinance Workers.
Surviving are her husband, Robert, children; Jared (Janett) Call, Laurel(Craig) Anderson, Val (Valerie) Call and Jill (Bradford) Johnson, 19 grandchildren and 32 great grandchildren, brothers; Garth (Marion) Mangum, Kerry (Jean) Mangum, sisters, Gai (Les) Elmer, sisters in law; Viola Call, LaRue DeWitt, brothers in law; Robert Hall, and Dennis Wilson.
Preceded in death are her parents, sister, Vaudis Hall and brother, Kent Mangum.
On Thursday morning we packed up and headed to the Funeral and also to spend the weekend at my parents house in Bear River (Treamonton). The Funeral was also in Layton at a church. There was again another viewing for an hour and a half before the funeral started. Again it was amazing to see all the people there to pay tribute to this wonderful woman. (Kelsy said as she looked at my Dad that she had never seen him cry or be sad. If anything has been sad for me its been more of knowing that she was my Dad's Mom and I know how much he loved his Mother. I will miss my Grandma too especially as I think of Christmas coming and her not being there.)
The Funeral was perfect. There were quite a few speakers each with messages about the gospel and how Grandma touched all of us.
First my Uncle Val spoke and then my Dad spoke. My Dad did such a wonderful job. He spoke of how he was like Nephi having been born of goodly parents. My Grandma was truely a goodly woman who was constantly engaged in the gospel and her family. He also said that like the Stripling Wariors that knew there Mother's had testimonies He too knew that his Mother also had a strong testimony. Grandma was ready to share the gospel and bear testimony at all times. I too also feel that I am blessed like Nephi having been born of Goodly Parents and Grandparents. I know they have a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I know that they know too that Jesus Christ is our Savior and because I have been taught of Goodly Parents I too also know.
After they spoke Cleve Dibble a good family friend who I believe has also lived in West Layton his whole life. West Layton was a farm town, it has all changed in the last 15 years, but that's the old Layton we all loved. Growning up in West Layton everyone knew everyone there. (I met a man up at Temple Square about 2 months or so ago that as we talked he told me he lived in Layton and Him being at least 70ish I mentioned that my Grandparents were Shirely and Robert Call, he knew exactly who they were. I like to call us the Famous nobody's (at least in Layton.)) The Dibbles have always been good friends whom we all looked up too.
Sister Michaellene Grassli spoke next. Sister Grassli was General President of the Primary organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Grandma was on the General Board serving with sister Grassli. I loved listening to her speak of Grandma. She talked about how Grandma could relate everything in the Gospel to Onion farming, which showed how much the Gospel was a part of her life. I will always think of the harvest that we had one year that we prayed so much that we would be able to get in before it rained (Well that was the case every year) and when we got it all in we didn't have room enough for all of the harvest. Grandma got out her scriptures - “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse,” commanded the Lord, “… and prove me now herewith, … if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it” (Mal. 3:10) I learned that if we paid our tithing and prayed and did all we could we were literally blessed so much that we did not have room enough.
Grandma's brother Garth Mangum and then Clive Barney Spoke another family friend. I have such love for the Barneys'. When Robert and I got engaged I had certain people I wanted to personally tell and introduce them to Robert - My Grandparents and the Barneys.
It was a beautiful tribute to my Grandma and it was filled with testimonies of the Gospel. I know that this was not only a Joyus Reunion for us as we were reunited with new and old friends in honor of Grandma but I know that it was a Joyus Reunion for her also. She was able to reunite with her parents and the many who have also granduated from this existance. It is a blessing to know that she graduated with honors. She left us with happy memories and with peace in her passing. We love you grandma!

No comments:
Post a Comment