Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day Brunch

For the past 4 years I have done a Mothers Day brunch for my Mom, and Mother in Law and my Grandmas! I love doing it. It's fun to cook a bunch of new fun breakfast things that I other wise do not have an excuse to make. I wish that I didn't forget to take pictures but everthing was so good.
I made a Berry pancake Puff:
3 T melted butter in the bottom of pan
Mix
1 C milk
6 eggs
1 C flour
1/2 t salt
Mix all together and pour into a round baking pan (I used a no-stick frying pan. Cook at 450* for 13 min. Reduce heat to 350* for 15-17 min.
Fill center with berries. I mixed 3 C of fresh strawberries with 1/2 cup of marmalade. I also topped it with Whipped topping. YUM!

Potato, Mushroom Hash
I didn't put chicken in it, mainly because I had a vegetarian there but also chicken to me isn't really for breakfast.
INGREDIENTS
2 pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
4 tablespoons cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS
Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan of salted water. Bring to a boil and simmer until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
In a large nonstick frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are browned, about 6 minutes. Add the chicken, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, and the thyme. Sauté until the chicken is almost cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the mixture from the pan.
Wipe out the frying pan and then heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil over moderately high heat. Add the drained potatoes and let cook, without stirring, for 6 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, stir the potatoes, and cook until well browned, about 4 minutes longer. Stir in the chicken and mushrooms, the cream, and the parsley. Cook until just heated through, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Test-Kitchen Tip: This is the perfect place to use leftover cooked turkey or chicken. Just toss it in at the end with the mushrooms.

Lemon Pull-a-parts
Ingredients:
12 Rhodes™ Dinner Rolls, thawed but still cold
2 lemon rinds, grated
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
Citrus Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tabelspoons fresh lemon juice

Method:
Mix grated lemon rind with sugar. Cut rolls in half and place in a 12-inch sprayed deep dish pizza pan or 9x13-inch sprayed baking pan. Drizzle 1/4 cup melted butter over rolls. Sprinkle with lemon rind/sugar mixture, reserving 1/2 of mixture to sprinkle on just before baking. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap. Let rise until double in size. Remove wrap. Sprinkle on remaining mixture. Bake at 350°F 20-25 minutes. Remove immediately from pan and place on cooling rack. Combine glaze ingredients and mix well. Drizzle over pull-aparts.
We had a few other small things along with it.

As I was preparing for the Brunch I couldn't help but miss my Grandma. She really loved brunch. I missed her being there and thought about her often while I was preparing. I am so glad to have taken a picture last year. Remember to take pictures of these precious moments we have. We never know how many we will have.

No comments: